How to get a duplicate title for my vehicle

If the vehicle was last titled in a state other than Alaska, you must apply for a duplicate title in the previous state where the vehicle was last titled.

The registered owner of the vehicle should complete the following steps:

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
1300 W Benson Boulevard STE 200
Anchorage AK  99503-3600

The application should have the following information completed:
Your full name (printed)
Complete/Correct Serial Number (VIN)
Description of the item that you need the title for Signature (Must be notarized)

Please note that the cost of a duplicate title is $15.00. (Paid to the Alaska division of motor vehicles) and may take up to 15 days to receive.

Frequently asked questions

Do I need to return my licence plates?

Yes, unless you are transferring the plates to a new vehicle you should return them. Either mail, or take the plates to your local Alaska DMV office.

What should I do about my auto insurance?

When selling any type of vehicle it’s always a good policy to immediately notify your auto insurance company that you have sold the vehicle so they can either cancel your policy if the vehicle was sold, or transfer/renew the policy on your new vehicle.

Is there anything else I need to do?

It’s always a good idea to notify your local Alaska DMV that you have sold the vehicle.