How to sign your Utah title when selling your vehicle

The registered owner of the vehicle should complete the following easy steps: Notify the local Utah MVD that the vehicle has been sold by writing a letter that includes the vehicles year, make, model, VIN and your signature. You can mail the letter toDivision of Motor VehiclesSuspended Transaction UnitP.O. Box 30412Salt Lake City, UT 84130Fax: (801) 297-3570If there is more than one owner of the vehicle, both must sign the title. Click to enlarge

How to get a duplicate vehicle title

If your vehicle was last titled in a state other than Utah, you must apply for a duplicate title in the previous state where it was titled.

The registered owner of the vehicle should do the following:

Division of Motor Vehicles

Mail and Correspondence

P.O. Box 30412

Salt Lake City, UT 84130

Please note that may be a waiting period of one or two days before a duplicate title can be issued and the cost is $6.00. (Paid to the UT motor vehicle division).

Frequently asked questions

Do I need to return my licence plates?

Yes, unless you are transferring the plates to a new vehicle you should return them. Either mail, or take the plates to your local DMV office.

What should I do about my auto insurance?

When selling any type of vehicle it’s always a good policy to immediately notify your auto insurance company that you have sold the vehicle so they can either cancel your policy if the vehicle was sold, or transfer/renew the policy on your new vehicle.

Is there anything else I need to do?

It’s always a good idea to notify your local DMV that you have sold the vehicle.