How to sign your Vermont title when selling your vehicle

The registered owner of the vehicle should complete the following steps: If there is more than one owner of the vehicle, both must sign the title.

Click to enlarge

How to get a duplicate title

If the vehicle was last titled in a state other than Vermont, you must apply for a duplicate title in the previous state.

The registered owner of the vehicle should do the following:

Please note that there may be up to a seven to ten day waiting period before a duplicate title can be issued and the cost is $33.00. (Paid to the VT division of motor vehicles).

Frequently asked questions

Do I need to return my licence plates?

Yes, unless you are transferring the plates to a new vehicle you should return them. Either mail, or take the plates to your local DMV office.

What should I do about my auto insurance?

When selling any type of vehicle it’s always a good policy to immediately notify your auto insurance company that you have sold the vehicle so they can either cancel your policy if the vehicle was sold, or transfer/renew the policy on your new vehicle.

Is there anything else I need to do?

It’s always a good idea to notify your local DMV that you have sold the vehicle. You can contact them with any additional questions or concerns about the transfer of your title.