How to sign your North Carolina title when selling your vehicle
Important: North Carolina titles may need to be notarizedThe registered owner of the vehicle should do the following:
- First sign the back of the title where indicated by “Signature(s) of Seller(s)” (see image). This may need to be done in front of a legal notary. Legal notary’s can be found at any bank, DMV, or legal office
- Print (don’t sign) your name on the back of the title where it reads “Printed Name(s) of Seller(s)”.
- Have the title notarized if required.
How to get a duplicate title for your vehicle
If the vehicle was last titled in a state other than North Carolina, you must apply for a duplicate title in the previous state in which the vehicle was registered.
The registered owner of the vehicle should complete the following steps:
- Fill out the North Carolina Duplicate Title form.
- You can choose to do one of the following options: Bring your duplicate title application to the North Carolina DMV, or Mail your application to the North Carolina division of motor vehicles at:
N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-3148
Please note that there is a mandatory 15 day waiting period before a duplicate title can be issued and the cost is $15.00. (Paid to the NC division of motor vehicles).