How to sign your Wisconsin title when selling your vehicle

The registered owner of the vehicle should complete the following steps: If there is more than one owner of the vehicle, both must sign the title.

Click to enlarge

How to get a duplicate title

If the vehicle was last titled in a state other than Wisconsin, you must apply for a duplicate title in the previous state.

The registered owner of the vehicle should follow these steps:

    1. Complete the online title request form or
    2. Fill out the Wisconsin Replacement Title Application.
    3. You can do one of the following options:
Bring your duplicate title application to your local DOT office.
Mail your application to the WI division of motor vehicles at:

WI Dept. of Transportation

PO Box 7949

Madison WI 53707-7949

    Please note that there may be up to a seven to ten day waiting period before a duplicate title can be issued and the cost is $20.50 (An additional $5.00 counter service fee applies in person).

Frequently asked questions

Do I need to return my licence plates?

Yes, unless you are transferring the plates to a new vehicle you should return them. Either mail, or take the plates to your local DMV office.

What should I do about my auto insurance?

When selling any type of vehicle it’s always a good policy to immediately notify your auto insurance company that you have sold the vehicle so they can either cancel your policy if the vehicle was sold, or transfer/renew the policy on your new vehicle.

Is there anything else I need to do?

It’s always a good idea to notify your local DMV that you have sold the vehicle. You can contact them with any additional questions or concerns about the transfer of your title.